In order to carry out their operations, federal agencies often rely on IT components manufactured overseas. But, a new report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO) warns that this growing dependence on a global IT supply chain introduces multiple risks to sensitive federal information systems.
For example, the report says federal agencies are vulnerable to:
- Installation of malicious logic on hardware or software
- Installation of counterfeit hardware or software
- Failure or disruption in the production or distribution of a critical product or service
- Reliance upon a malicious or unqualified service-provider for the performance of technical services
- Installation of unintentional vulnerabilities on hardware or software (more…)